A Parental NOTIFICATION (not CONSENT) law is now in effect in the state of Illinois. The law requires that we notify a parent, grandparent, step-parent living in the home or a legal guardian, before a patient who is under the age of 18 can have an abortion procedure. Only one adult family member needs to be notified, and the patient can choose who is notified and how they will be notified.
Parental Notification is not the same thing as parental consent. The adult family member does not have to give permission for the abortion procedure, or agree with your decision. The law only requires that patients under the age of 18 and your health care provider tell an adult family member that you are going to have an abortion procedure.
We respect your privacy. We will never give your adult family member, or anyone, any medical information or information about your appointment, unless you specifically ask us to do so.
Your adult family member can be notified by you or our staff, which ever you think is best.
Your adult family member can be notified:
- In person, if you plan to have your adult family member with you on the day of your abortion procedure
- In writing, you can print the Adult Family Member Waiver Letter or copy the letter by hand if you do not have access to a printer.
- Over the phone by one of our staff members.
This law may not apply to you, or is handled differently under the following situations:
- You are married, divorced or widowed
- You have been legally emancipated
- You are a survivor of neglect, sexual abuse, or physical abuse by an adult family member
- You get a court order through the judicial bypass process
We know that this can be a confusing process. There are many different options for you and we have staff available to talk with you and help you decide which option is best for you. Please call us to discuss your questions and concerns at (312) 462-1846.
For more information about the judicial bypass process you can contact the ACLU Judicial Bypass Coordination Project.
- Call Toll Free: 877-442-9727
- Text: 312-560-6607
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: ilbypasscoodrinationproject.org
- Facebook: Illinois Bypass Coordination Project
The Abortion Care Network offers advice on how to talk to an adult in your life as well as lots of other helpful information.